[SATLUG] Buying Office Printer?

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Mon Jan 22 22:07:36 CST 2018

On Jan 5, 2018, at 9:57 AM, Joe <null.div.zero at gmail.com> wrote:

>    We're switching from leased printer to owned.  But, I've never had to
> do that.  We've always leased.  I need a relatively fast color printer,
> with fax, scan, and copy, that can support Ledger size 11x17.  Looking at
> Staples etc, I'm not seeing the kind of printer the office staff is
> accustomed to.  Aside from not being able to find one that scans duplex
> 11x17, if I bring in one of these retail printers from Staples, I'm pretty
> sure the fur will start flying.  So, my question is, where can find real
> office grade printers in San Antonio?  I hope this isn't too far outside
> the Linux realm.   But, I need help, and wasn't sure who else to ask.

I don't know of any "prosumer" printers that can scan 11x17.  That's commercial-grade, in my experience.

Myself, having owned a raft of Brother and now Xerox prosumer all-in-one printers/scanners, I can tell you that my next printer is not going to be an all-in-one.  If my scanner breaks down, I don't want that taking out my printer.  And I want to be able to get a good quality scanner that I can replace, if need be, without having to also replace my printer.  The built-in scanner on my Xerox WorkCentre 6605DN is not that good, and it frequently mis-aligns documents.  I'd love to be able to replace it, but I'm stuck.

Years ago, I had a Ricoh Aficio printer that could do 11x17, and it was damn bloody fast!  But it didn't have a scanner, and I let the thing sit unused for too long when I moved to the US, so it ended up getting sent to Goodwill.  But it is still the best printer I've ever had.

If you want something that can do 11x17 scanning, I think that's going to be pretty expensive.